Production & Site Operative
Do you have excellent hands-on construction expertise? Solardome is looking for someone with knowledge of production engineering, manufacturing and installation of curtain walling/glazing systems to build on customer premises.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to have a key role in a specialist aluminium dome design, manufacturing and construction company. Think Eden Project Biomes but on a smaller scale.
Job role and key responsibilities
- Receiving and checking stock into the factory, checking, sorting and storing
- Fabricating parts, working with aluminium, glass and plastics
- Operating machinery and power tools
- Packing glasshouse kits for delivery
- Monitoring and reporting stock levels to Production Supervisor to facilitate re-ordering
- Monitoring the state of and where necessary maintaining factory tools and machinery
- Keeping up to date with H&S practises relating to the factory work and ensuring procedures are adhered to
- Take responsibility for improving factory production rates and efficiencies in line with key performance indicators
- To supervise and organise team workload
You will take responsibility for quality control throughout the production process. The following areas will fall under your day-to-day tasks.
- Checking and signing off stock coming into the factory for acceptable quality and quantities
- Checking and signing off quality and quantity of parts fabricated within the factory
- Ensuring the quality and completeness of outgoing glasshouse kits, responsible for final sign off on any shipments
- Monitoring any quality issues identified, producing results and making regular recommendations for improvements
- Travelling / driving to customers sites around the UK and sometimes abroad. You will be required to drive the company van. This will require nights away from home and occasional weekend work
- Taking the lead and driving site builds forward
- Responsibility for ensuring build time targets are met and maintained
- Liaising with operations manager for arranging travelling and accommodation requirements for site work.
- Using problem solving techniques to overcome unexpected issues on-site
- Working safely at height
- Working in all weathers
- Assembling Solardome glasshouses on pre-prepared bases as part of the team around the UK and occasionally abroad
- Maintaining accurate records of your expenses relating to any work away from home
- Liaising professionally with customers in a polite and considerate manner. Ensuring that you and your teams actions on site reflect well on Solardome
- Monitoring the state of, and where necessary maintaining any site tools and equipment
- Responsibility for ensuring the quality of workmanship in relation to construction
- Responsibility for the site being left tidy after builds
- Ensuring H&S practices relating to site work are followed, i.e. your safety and the safety of others
- Experience of working in practical role, ideally production and building related
- Experience of using hand and power tools
- Confident working at height
- Organised and efficient with an excellent eye for detail
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work on own and use initiative to get the job done
- Experience of leading a team
- Excellent people skills
- Problem solver
- Good team player
- Can do attitude and flexibility
- Quick to learn new skills
- Full UK driving licence – requirement for the role
- Computer literate – MS Word, MS Excel, email, CRM (SugarCRM)
Ideally you will have the following, however training is offered for right candidate
- Minimum of 5 GCSEs with grades A to C
- CSCS Health and Safety card
- Fork lift licence
- Cherry picker licence
- The Salary will be starting at £16,500 PA – £18,000 PA, depending on skills and experience. Up to £20,000 when trained.
- You will be entitled to 22 days holiday rising up to a maximum of 25 days after 5 years of employment
- You will be entitled to a company contributory stake holder pension.
- Free parking
- Annual Bonus based on company profits
- This is a full time position at 37.5 hours per week when in the factory.
- Site work to be carried out as necessary and will be subject to our normal off-site policy.
- Any weekend work will be replaced with time off in lieu.
- The Production Supervisor
- Please apply with your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No agencies please