Aquaponics and Hydroponics
Excellent environment for modern growing techniques
Our glasshouse domes create an excellent environment to experiment with modern growing techniques such as hydroponics, aquaponics and vertical growing. As seen on Love Your Garden with Alan Titchmarsh Series 5, Episode 3:
Hydroponics is the growing of plants without soil. When you grow hydroponically there is no digging, weeding or soil borne pests or diseases. The plants are supported in an inert media such as perlite, vermiculite, clay pebbles, or rockwool and are fed a nutrient solution.
Aquaponics are living food ecosystems. It is the technique of growing plants and raising fish together and creating a symbiotic relationship. The system is based around a plant bed and a fish tank, both working together. The fish water feeds the plants and the plants filter the water for the fish, all you need to do is feed the fish.
Benefits of a dome
The excellent ventilation, uniformity of temperature teamed with 97% light transmission from the multifaceted glass in a Solardome® geodesic dome ensures maximum solar gain, leading to an extended growing season. As a gardener, utilising these growing techniques in a Solardome® glasshouse means:
- you can grow all year round
- it’s cheaper to run as no additional lighting is required because of the excellent light transmission of the dome
- water is conserved and plant nutrients are controlled
- more plants can be grown in a given area
- it’s up to 40% cheaper to heat compared with a traditional greenhouse because of the lower volume of the dome
- plants grow quicker with increased yields
- it’s cleaner as no compost is required
- plants are protected in the dome from airbourne pests and soil borne pests are eliminated leading to reduced need for pesticides
There are a variety of hydroponic and aquaponic kits, systems and accessories available. Information and images courtesy of HydroGarden www.hydrogarden.com.